Blu-ray + UHD/4K + Streaming

A community for authoring Blu-ray, 4K/UHD and more!

I was just wondering if I export a movie from Avid Media Composer 6 as an H.264 file, will that meet the Blu-ray spec? Is H.264 the same as AVC? Or do I need to use the DoStudio Encoder or the like to do the encoding?

Tom Carlson

Views: 499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It wont work it needs to be level 4.1

you can use DoStudio encoder, Apple Compressor or Adobe media Encoder or the Pro encoders like Cinema Craft or Sonic

Thanks, Tony. Do you have any thoughts about AVC vs. VC1? I know the encoder that comes with Sonic PowerStation just does MPEG2 or VC1. I'll only be using this to encode a movie made out of single frames of text, each lasting the length of a music cut (not slides, but single frames repeated as a movie to fill up the length of the music cue.) So I guess my question is, would VC1 be any sharper than AVC for text files? I have the bandwidth to go up to about 10 mbs. Currently, the movies made in MC6 and encoded using the DoStudio Encoder are only about 1/10 of a mbs, even at the highest quality setting.. So lots of room left for sharper text.

Hi Tom,

also make sure the encoder supports slicing. Bluray spec demands that each frame is parted into 4 areas (slices) by the encoder to reduce decoding work for the player. Some encoders do this automatically if you select to export for BD. Most consumer or semi-professional ones don't and often even don't have that feature.

Just make sure slicing is supported or you might get your disc returned because of invalid h264 streams. I'm not sure, if Dostudio does a full compliance check of each stream. I remember though, that back in the days when I was testing x264 for BD encoding, DoStudio happly accepted the streams although the encoder did not support slicing.

x264 works fine with BD now. The learning curve is only steeper, but it's a PRO quality encoder which cost nothing.

Tobz said:

Hi Tom,

also make sure the encoder supports slicing. Bluray spec demands that each frame is parted into 4 areas (slices) by the encoder to reduce decoding work for the player. Some encoders do this automatically if you select to export for BD. Most consumer or semi-professional ones don't and often even don't have that feature.

Just make sure slicing is supported or you might get your disc returned because of invalid h264 streams. I'm not sure, if Dostudio does a full compliance check of each stream. I remember though, that back in the days when I was testing x264 for BD encoding, DoStudio happly accepted the streams although the encoder did not support slicing.

@BoodyBaggage. Yeah, that's nice to hear. It didn't 2 years ago. Would you mind to share which build and settings you are using and which discs you have replicated so far that use x264. I'd really love to use that encoder again - picture quality was very good even back then.

I've replicated a ton of discs with x264 and this command line. All have been met with acclaim for the video when they got reviewed, no problems at all. (Mind you, they've all been anime -- you'll probably want to take out the --tune animation line, though --tune film seems to make a nice subtle difference for anything with grain in it.)

--bitrate 25000 --preset slow --bluray-compat --tune animation --vbv-maxrate 33000 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --level 4.1 --keyint 24 --open-gop --slices 4 --colorprim "bt709" --transfer "bt709" --colormatrix "bt709" --sar 1:1

x264 passed BD replication tests early last year, so any build after that should work just fine.

That's great news. Thanks for sharing!

Like Justin we've replicated lots of feature films using x264 after they implimented BD support to it. Check out x264.nl - There's a link there which helps you on what commands to use for BD compliance. Along with Avisynth it has solved all our encoding quality issues, except for 3D encoding. The quality is outstanding and running on 2 x 6 core xeon 3.5ghz it spends about 4-6 hours encoding a 90 minute movie in 2 passes which isn't too bad speedwise.

The adobe Media Encoder spits out files as M4V, which do not import.......

Tony Laughton said:

It wont work it needs to be level 4.1

you can use DoStudio encoder, Apple Compressor or Adobe media Encoder or the Pro encoders like Cinema Craft or Sonic

It still works, just change the filename suffix. The m4v's Media Encoder makes are not the same as iTunes M4V files. Adobe's just being wacky in the name of their useless Encore authoring app.

Neil Wilkes said:

The adobe Media Encoder spits out files as M4V, which do not import.......

Thanks to all for the responses! I also have used X264, but wasn't using it with a line for all of the correct parameters. Also, I have tried the encoder included in BD PowerStation and although it does not encode AVC files, it does do a great job on VC1's. The chapters are really solidly locked down so that when navigating to chapters authored with NetBlender, it goes right to the correct frame. That wasn't the case when encoding with some other encoders. Finally and most importantly, there was no macro-blocking on the letters of my menu.

Tom

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Marc Morris replied to Marc Morris's discussion DoStudio - importing Chapters XML from FCPX
"Thanks Rob. Sadly it doesn't open fcpxml files. I purchased XtoCC, but I found a bug in the…"
Jun 13
Rob Aubey replied to Marc Morris's discussion DoStudio - importing Chapters XML from FCPX
"Marc, You could try this tool to see if it will convert the TC of the XML to the correct format.…"
Jun 10
Marc Morris posted a discussion

DoStudio - importing Chapters XML from FCPX

I've recently upgraded from FCP 7 to FCPX, and I had no problem exporting XML chapters from the old…See More
Jun 7
Rob Aubey replied to Scott Rossi's discussion DoStudio
"Hello Scott, Unfortunately, DoStudio is not for sale any longer. I would be interested speaking…"
Feb 8

© 2019   Created by Denny and Rob.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service